Your goal is to pocket the colored balls of your type (SOLID or STRIPED). Your type is determined when someone first pockets a ball past turn one. Once determined, you need to pocket all of the colored balls of your type, while preventing the opponent from doing the same.
After you pocket all seven of your balls, you need to pocket an 8 ball (black one) to win. Be careful not to pocket an 8 ball before the other seven, for this is an instant loss. Same applies to the opponent. You must choose a pocket before the 8 ball shot and pocket the 8 ball exactly into that one. Pocketing an 8 ball into the wrong pocket is an instant loss. Also you cannot commit any foul (see pages 6-7) while pocketing an 8 ball.
When you pocket a ball correctly, you are always given a free additional shot. You can chain this effect multiple times. A move that goes against the rules (FOUL) will ruin your streak, negate your free shot, and pass the turn to the opponent. Same applies to you if your opponent fouls.
You foul when:
- You do not hit any balls or cushion (table edge) with the cue ball.
- The ball you hit does not touch anything else, is not pocketed and does not hit a cushion.
- You hit an opponent’s ball first (or hit black 8 ball while you still have colored balls). Note that before sides are determined, any player is safe to hit any ball.
- You pocket an 8 ball into the wrong pocket (not the one you chose) if that rule is chosen.
- You break the pyramid without any balls being pocketed and with less than four balls hitting cushions.
- You pocket a cue ball.
Moving the ball
When permitted, one may place the cue ball manually to the desired position. While the cue ball is highlighted with a circle, you can drag it before striking. After your opponent fouls, you will always be able to do so; you can also drag the cue ball (in a limited area) while breaking the pyramid.
You can spin the cue ball by aiming at specific points.
- The center: a normal hit.
- Slightly below the center: STUNS the ball, making it stop dead after hit.
- Above the center: FOLLOW, moving in the same direction after hit.
- Below the center: DRAW, moving backwards after hit.
- Left and right: leans to left or right after the hit.