- Useful Shortcuts
NOTE: for our new Crossword games, your score will be saved to the leaderboard in a new way - by collecting the total score
Please watch this video to learn Crossword tips & tricks:
The Settings feature is located in the top left, by using the hamburger icon (3 lines)
In the Settings menu, you can modify various features in the game.
If you place your mouse over each of the options, an explanation of each option will appear.
- Show timer allows you to choose whether the timer on top is shown. The time will keep ticking while you play, regardless of whether it's shown. It will still affect your final score.
- Arrow keys change direction allows you to toggle whether pressing the arrow keys only changes the cell you're on or whether it changes the direction in which you type.
- Skip over filled squares allows you to keep typing while skipping over the squares you've already filled.
- Skip to next word allows you to keep typing in the next word on the puzzle without selecting the square.
- Increase clue size makes the letters in the clue section larger without changing the size of the rest of the game.
- Display clues as a list toggle between your clues displaying as a list on the side of your puzzle or displaying only a single clue for the word you've selected on the bottom of the puzzle.
- Sound turns the sound effects on or off.
- Clues Position changes whether the clues are displayed on the left or the right side of the grid.
For mobile devices
Keyboard Navigation. If you're playing the game on a mobile platform, such as a smartphone or a tablet, you will notice one extra option - Keyboard Navigation.
The function of this option is to let you use your mobile keyboard as you would use a computer keyboard when navigating the puzzle by introducing arrows on your screen. You can use these to move around the puzzle and the space bar to switch between horizontal and vertical words.
Pinch and zoom. If you play on a mobile device, you can pinch the grid to zoom in and see the letters closer.
Check and AutoCheck
The Check feature checks whether the letter, word, or puzzle you've typed is correct.
Reveal can show you a part of the puzzle that hasn't yet been guessed.
You can choose between revealing a letter, a word, or the entire puzzle.
If you're indecisive about a word or letter and you're not sure if it fits, you can use the Pencil Feature.
The Pencil feature allows you to insert any letter into any cell without it being recognized as having been completed in the puzzle. If you're unsure about a word or a letter being the right one, but you'd still like to write it, perhaps to erase later, you can click on the pencil icon in the top right and type any word as you would. The letter will appear grey instead of black, so you can know which ones you've inserted as a temporary choice or as your final answer.
This is great for when you'd like to check for answers, but you're not sure about all of your choices.
Print is for when you'd like to print the puzzle on a sheet of paper.
The Print menu allows you to print the puzzle differently, with clear visual options on how to do so.
How is the daily score calculated?
The daily score consists of 3 parts:
- The Puzzle Score. It equals the % of the puzzle that was completed without help X 100 - This is the percentage of cells filled without using the "Reveal" and "Check" buttons.
- The Time Bonus. It equals (300 secs - Time spent to solve the puzzle) X 10 - If your puzzle is finished within 5 minutes (300 seconds), you will receive a time bonus.
- The Daily Bonus. It equals 50 points - For example, if you completed August 31st's puzzle on August 31st, you will get a daily bonus.
Daily Score = Puzzle Score + Time Bonus + Daily Bonus
NOTE: if you wish to review your answers at the end of the game, please, press the HIDE button at the top left corner of the game end pop-up
Let's breakdown the example above and calculate the score step-by-step:
- Puzzle Score = 10 000. 100% of the puzzle was completed without help: 100 x 100 = 10 000 points.
- Time Bonus = 0. The puzzle was finished within 9 minutes and 18 seconds. There is no time bonus in this case because 9 minutes and 18 seconds equals 558 seconds, and this number is higher than the 300 seconds limit, which is why the time bonus is not awarded in this case.
- Daily Bonus = 50. The puzzle was completed on the daily puzzle date (the 2 October puzzle was completed on the 2 of October), and 50 points Daily Bonus was awarded.
The Daily score = 10 000 + 0 + 50 = 10 050 pts
Total Score (2 puzzles this month) = the previous day's score (3 050) + today's score (10 050)
= 13 100 points.
How is the total score calculated?
Your total score is the sum of all of the daily scores you finished within a month.
For example, if it's August now, and you have finished the following puzzles this month:
- August 4th = 8950 points.
- August 18th = 9450 points.
- August 31st = 8200 points.
Your total score after completing that August 31st puzzle would be calculated like this:
8950 points + 9450 points + 8200 points = 26,600 points.
This result should be saved on the leaderboard.
What happens when a new month starts?
At the start of a new month, your monthly score will reset to zero again.
In the example above, if the last puzzle you completed in August was on the 31st, on September 1st, you start again from zero.
NOTE: keep in mind, Arkadium players are located across the world, but our leaderboards are set on Eastern Time, which in the winter months (EST) is five hours behind Coordinated Universal Time (UTC-05:00) and Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) during the summer months which is four hours behind Coordinated Universal Time (UTC-04:00). So, while you may be playing your game on August 31st at 9:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT), it's already September 1st at 12:30 AM EST, so the leaderboards may already reset your monthly score